Monday, April 13, 2009

Monday Marinations

Here's a trial theme for Mondays. I am a lover of words, especially the words of others and I find myself constantly gathering words from poems, books, and quotes or quickly scrawling words I hear onto grocery receipts and post-its. And I am forever reflecting and marinating on the beauty of what I read and hear. So, as long as I can remember, my Monday posts will include little pieces of what I am currently marinating on. I hope you enjoy!

There’s a lovely story about a Hasidic rabbi who always told his
people that if they studied the Torah, it would put scripture on their
hearts. One of them asked, “Why on our hearts, and not in them?” The
rabbi answered, “Only God can put scripture inside. But reading
sacred text can put it on your hearts, and then when your hearts
break, the holy words will fall inside.” -Anne LaMott

"No, this is how it works
You peer inside yourself
You take the things you like
And try to love the things you took
And then you take that love you made
And stick it into some
Someone else's heart
Pumping someone else's blood
And walking arm in arm
You hope it don't get harmed
But even if it does
You'll just do it all again
"
-Regina Spektor

"And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its shame, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."

“Now we have Gogurt. Did we have a mobility problem with yogurt?”

Ellen enacts hypothetical phone conversation….

“Oh hi Tom. Oh, I’ve been wanting to see that movie. Hmm… No, I just opened a yogurt….I’m in for the night…yeah. No…not even later, it’s the kind with the fruit on the bottom. Have fun.”

-Ellen Degeneres


“I stand on the edge of these wetlands, a place of renewal, an oasis in the desert, as an act of faith, believing the sun has completed the southern end of its journey and is now contemplating its return toward light.” –Terry Tempest Williams


"The famine's begun for many in our own land; right here; right now. The reality is that we only come to know Jesus as the bread of life because we've known hunger. Whether we hunger for meaning, freedom, intimacy, freedom from fear, or something else, when we find the one who can satisfy the hunger, our gratitude becomes a natural wellspring of praise. The same thing is true again and again. We know Christ as light because we've walked in darkness; know Him as life because we've been in the realm of death; know Him as father because we've stood by the grave of our own dad. However it works for you, I hope you can see that real thanksgiving is always born out of the transformation which comes from crisis."

-Richard Dahlstrom


"so I shall search the land of void and vision until I find something fresh like water and comforting like fire; until I find some place in eternity, where I am literally at home"
-GK Chesterton
If every building falls

And all the stars fade
We'll still be singing this song
The one they can't take away
I'm gonna get there soon
-Mat Kearney

No comments: