Saturday, April 12, 2008

INFP, in a nutshell.

So I just took the Myers-Briggs test again and got a different result than when I took it a year ago. I wonder if this is because I’m in a different time in life or if my personality is gradually changing over time. In any case I used to be an ISFJ and now I am an INFP. It's so fascinating to me how insightful this test can be with only simple yes or no questions. I have to say, that this test probably knows me better than anyone else, even myself. It's just crazy. I took the test again from the facebook application, same test as before but they give a super detailed description of the personality type after you take it. It’s pretty long, so I’ll just cut and paste some general descriptions.. if you get bored about reading about me...scroll down down to the bottom, so I can read all about you!

INFP

INFPs focus deeply on their values, and they devote their lives to pursuing the ideal. They are creative, and they seek new ideas and possibilities. They quietly push for what is important to them, and they rarely give up. While they have a gentleness about them and a delightful sense of humor, they may be somewhat difficult to get to know and may be overlooked by others.


Living
INFP children often create their own fantasy world and live very much within it. They may daydream about what is important to them, and sometimes others wonder if they are in touch with reality. They often get lost in their thoughts and books, and may develop a special ability in communicating, such as writing. They are somewhat reserved, especially in new situations.
INFPs need a purpose beyond the paycheck. They become burned out easily if their job does not fit their value system; they may not feel good enough about what they have achieved and, as a result, may undervalue themselves and their contributions.

Work
INFPs prefer occupations in which they can be involved in making the world better. Having their heart in their work is important to them. These occupations also allow for an element of creativity and flexibility. INFPs are particularly interested to be counselor, editor, education consultant, English teacher, fine arts teacher, journalist, psychologist, religious educator, social scientist, social worker, teacher, writer, and other occupations that engage their values.

Leisure
Many of the INFPs' leisure activities are done alone --- reading, listening to music, and gardening are some activities likely to appeal to them. Reflection time and the opportunity to make sure things are right are important. INFPs often enjoy leisure pursuits with loved ones as well. When they want to be sociable, they can be exceedingly charming and outgoing. Their flexibility, gentleness, and sense of humour can make them quite popular in social situations.\

Leading
The INFP leadership style is subtle, gentle, indirect, and inclusive of others. INFPs do not confront people head-on, but rather work with them and through them to get the job done. Their style is not an aggressive one but is highly persistent; only reluctantly do INFPs assume leadership roles.
INFPs seldom confront situations directly, in part because they do not like conflict. Whenever possible, they would rather wait for a situation to work itself out, since they trust that people will work things through. They do not like following all the rules and regulations, but they are not overtly rebellious. They seek to get things done in their own style.

Relationships
INFPs present a calm, pleasant face to the world. They appear to be tranquil and peaceful to others, with simple desires. In fact, the INFP internally feels his or her life intensely. In the relationship arena, this causes them to have a very deep capacity for love and caring which is not frequently found with such intensity in the other types. The INFP does not devote their intense feelings towards just anyone, and are relatively reserved about expressing their inner-most feelings. They reserve their deepest love and caring for a select few who are closest to them. With their high ideals, they are likely to be drawn to other iNtuitive Feelers for their closer friendships.
INFPs are generally laid-back, supportive and nurturing in their close relationships. With Introverted Feeling dominating their personality, they're very sensitive and in-tune with people's feelings, and feel genuine concern and caring for others. Slow to trust others and cautious in the beginning of a relationship, an INFP will be fiercely loyal once they are committed. With their strong inner core of values, they are intense individuals who value depth and authenticity in their relationships
INFPs will be valued by their confidantes as genuine, altruistic, deep, caring, original individuals.

Enough about me, how about you??

3 comments:

L Nien said...

I just did mine yesterday and i was amazed by it. Yours seems spot on too. I'm a esfp, I thought it was pretty spot on, at least i hope it is ;) what do you think?

E xtroverted
S ensing
F eeling
P erceiving

The Performer
ESFPs are friendly, outgoing, fun loving and naturally drawn to people. They are quite enthusiastic and exuberant, and are usually well liked by others. They are good at meeting people and helping them enjoy themselves. They are sympathetic toward people and generous with their time and money. At their best, they are able to realistically meet human and situational needs in a fun and lively way.

Heather Olds said...

i did it too, it was fun..i love stuff like this! i'm ENFP..portrait of a champion, they say! actually, it was scary how dead on it was..
The Champion Idealists are abstract in thought and speech, cooperative in accomplishing their aims, and informative and expressive when relating with others. For Champions, nothing occurs which does not have some deep ethical significance, and this, coupled with their uncanny sense of the motivations of others, gives them a talent for seeing life as an exciting drama, pregnant with possibilities for both good and evil.

charisma said...

Hi! I was not aware of this Myers-Briggs test until someone told me I am an idealist. Someone I just met...she based it on the personality test given on an entrance exam I took. At first I thought...so what? But curiosity got the better of me, so I googled IDEALIST, and it led me to online personality tests and on being an INFP. I took lots of tests again and again...and it all resulted on me being an INFP. I agree...it seems like these tests know me more than I know myself. Amazingly interesting!!