Monday, February 14, 2011

I run and run as the rains come

I went for a run yesterday. Every couple of months I get a hankering for a good long run. Some potential financial stress and change on the horizon got my heart racing yesterday afternoon and in an effort to do as my body is programmed to do in a stress situation, in my own way I chose flight.

Interesting fact: In moments of stress or crisis, our bodies react. Our hearts race, our blood pressure goes up and there is that moment of panic. In this panic, we are programmed to either fight or flight as a way to release the adrenaline running through our bodies. Our culture has morphed this fight or flight release of adrenaline into a more sedentary, eat some chocolate, drink some wine and sleep it off mentality, or at least I have been known to take that route after a stressful day. However, this way of dealing with stress works against our bodies and we never have that release of adrenaline. It builds and builds until it manifests in other ways such as migraines or ulcers.

So, in an effort to solve this stressful moment with a more appropriate outlet, I ran. I got all my gear on only to walk out the door into the pouring rain. Why do I never look out the window before leaving the house? Oh well, I thought, I’m going anyway. I ran and ran, through the side ache, and the rain drops on my face. I ran to the park down the road and decided to swing on the swings, my favorite part of this particular running route. As I was swinging in the rain, I looked at the city or what I could see of it through the thick fog and I couldn’t help but think about the future. So much is unknown. I can make out an outline of this or that but it’s all fuzzy. There may be a lot that is unknown but there is so much that IS known and I was reminded of a Don Miller quote,

“We get one story, you and I, and one story alone. God has established the elements, the setting and the climax, and the resolution. It would be a crime not to venture out, wouldn't it? It might be time for you to go. It might be time to change, to shine out. I want to repeat one word one for: LEAVE. Roll the word around on your tongue for a bit. It is a beautiful word, isn't it? So strong and forceful, the way you have always wanted to be. And you will not be alone. You have never been alone. Don't worry. Everything will still be here when you get back. It is you who will have changed.”

Just some thoughts rolling around in my mind.

It is Valentine’s day and this hasn't been a Valentinesy post has it? I’ll end this post with some lyrics to one of my favorite songs by Mumford and Sons, which happens to start off with lyrics about running and rain. Full circle, eh? Eh?

And after the storm,
I run and run as the rains come
And I look up, I look up,
on my knees and out of luck,
I look up.

Night has always pushed up day
You must know life to see decay
But I won't rot, I won't rot
Not this mind and not this heart,
I won't rot.

And I took you by the hand
And we stood tall,
And remembered our own land,
What we lived for.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

And now I cling to what I knew
I saw exactly what was true
But oh no more.
That's why I hold,
That's why I hold with all I have.
That's why I hold.

Happy Valentine's Day

Much love.

1 comment:

thatoneguy said...

I think we our modified fight-or-flight strategy is due to the kind of stress we deal with most, which is relatively low-level stress. If a tiger jumped out of the bushes at you, you would never go the chocolate/wine/sleep route.

Also, this post reminds me of a cartoon I saw: http://catandgirl.com/?p=2780