Tuesday, June 2, 2009

blessed to be a witness

It’s been one of those weeks where things seem to be falling apart around me. The circumstances that my friends, clients, and co-workers are facing make me sigh over and over again. What does one DO in the face of adultery, the loss of the child, the loss of a job, illness that knocks you out, stress fractures, or life-changing decisions that need to be made yesterday? These circumstances, they are heavy. And they are done; there is nothing that can be done to change the situation. But I am recalling a bit of wisdom a friend picked up at an Imago Dei Community conference. She imparted a lot of words, tips and pearls but these are the words that stuck, “How we respond is our responsibility”. There was context surrounding this, but of course, I lost that bit along the way…

We may not be able to control the circumstances and what has already happened, but we can control how we respond. This part is completely up to us. One’s true character comes out when they encounter crisis. It’s hard to sugarcoat anything or pretend that everything is fine when the world is crumbling around you. It is too much energy to hold a mask to your face and to keep your walls built high. What’s left is genuine, real and raw. I feel so privileged to witness and be with people in this state. I am continually awed by the sheer resilience of the people with whom I surround myself.

They have been vulnerable and humble in these circumstances, asking for help when they need it, which let’s be honest, asking for help is no easy task in our society that calls for independence and "doing it all". They have been open to change and shifting tides. They have looked for and found God in the midst of it all, when they could so easily declare His absence or disbelief. They are weary but they keep moving; they survive. They are brave. They have embraced the unknown and they remain hopeful. They have responded with such grace and humility and continually inspire me. I am blessed to be a witness.

1 comment:

EddieSki said...

joe purdy rocks! nice choice in music