Monday, January 19, 2009

slumdog millionaire


I am in love with the movie Slumdog Millionaire. I tend to make broad sweeping statements about things I love especially movies that I see. I’m not a real tough critic, unless the movie is over three hours long and then chances are I fell asleep and no longer have any desire to finish watching, ever (sad, but true).


Back to the movie, I loved it. I don’t want to give anything about it away (I might anyway, so be warned), but one scene that I found particularly touching is one where the main character Jamal, kisses the scar on Latika’s cheek. Latika is the love of his life. Throughout the movie, the two have experienced countless traumatic and tragic things. In this reunion of sorts, he kisses a scar on her cheek, a wound that has healed over, but the memory and reminder still remains for all to see. It was just so symbolic and meaningful and I know I get wrapped up in finding meaning in just about everything, but it was such a sweet moment. It was an acknowledgment of everything they had been through. Though she’s been hurt in the past, he will love her broken places and be gentle to her wounds.


Isn’t this what we all need? To love each other’s broken places.



No comments: